Table of Contents
In this episode of the Econ Dev Show, Jamie Beasley talks with Dane Carlson about leaving law and virtual assistance to pursue a masters in economic development, the challenges of finding an entry-level job with her advanced degree, and her first month leading a rural chamber of commerce in Oklahoma. She provides tips on organization and discusses the potential for virtual assistants in economic development.
KathodeRay is a full-service marketing agency that connects government organizations to their community. This small (but mighty) woman-owned and operated marketing agency can help your community thrive. They use tried and true methods to connect your organization to your residents using social, digital, and traditional media.
- Switching careers mid-career can be challenging but rewarding.
- Entry-level economic development jobs can be hard to come by with an advanced degree.
- Rural communities offer opportunities to take on many different roles and responsibilities.
- Relationship building is key in economic development.
- Strategic doing > strategic planning.
- Organization is crucial - calendar and file everything.
- Virtual assistants may find opportunities supporting economic developers.
- The tools don't have to be complex, just put them to use.
- Offload the mental clutter of economic development onto your calendar and task manager.
- Persistence pays off in the job search.
- Jamie Beasley | LinkedIn
- Pushmataha County Chamber of Commerce – Working for the future, preserving the past!
- Small Town Solutions: An Economic Development Guide for Small Communities with BIG Dreams
- Corporate Site Selection and Economic Development: A 30-YEAR PERSPECTIVE
- Burn the Business Plan: What Great Entrepreneurs Really Do
- The Birth of a Building: From Conception to Delivery
- Bargaining for Advantage: Negotiation Strategies for Reasonable People
- The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
- Meant For This: The Mindset and Strategy to Achieve Your Most "Impossible" Dreams
- Strategic Doing
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps!
Econ Dev Show Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.