🎄 Merry Christmas econ dev friends:
Welcome to the make you a smarter economic developer newsletter! Thanks for spending a few minutes with us this morning. 👋
This week we have 15 stories, graphics, and charts, all Christmas themed, that I think you'll find informative, useful, inspiring, and perhaps even humorous. Some are economic development related directly, some only indirectly. 🤔
If you're wondering what to do with the info in this newsletter, send something to your board members. It will make you look good!
As always, if you find something interesting, please send it to me.
1) 'Twas the night before Christmas (economic development style) (by Dane):
'Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the town
Not a creature was stirring, not even a sound
The plans for the meeting were set out with care
In hopes that the investors would soon be there.
The local ecdev was nestled all snug in bed
While visions of new projects danced in her head.
And mamma from the Chamber, and I in my cap
Had just settled our day for a long Netflix nap.
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter
The developer sprang from the bed to see what was the matter
Away to the window she flew like a flash
Tore open the shutters and threw up the cash
The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow
Gave the luster of mid-day to properties below
When, what to her wondering eyes should appear
But a miniature sleigh, and eight tiny reindeer
With a little old driver, so lively and quick
She knew in a moment it must be St. Nick
The bundle of projects he had flung on his back
Gave proof that he was here with investments on track.
More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name:
“Now, Water! now, Power! now, Jobs and Wastewater!
On, Rail! on Road! on, Easements and Permittin'!
To the top of the porch! To the top of the wall!
Now dash away! Dash away! Dash away all!”
As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When you meet with an obstacle, use your iPhone and try,
So up to the city hall-top tax dollars they flew,
With the sleigh full of projects, and Saint Nicholas too.
He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work.
And filled all the bags with incentive perks.
Investing in projects, and turning around
He gave the town what they wanted, just to be found.
And laying a finger aside of his nose
And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose
He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle
And away they all flew, like it was official..
But the developer heard him exclaim,
ere he drove out of sight
"Happy economic development to all,
and to all a good-night!"
2) Secrets of the Christmas tree trade: Turf wars. Protection money. Scientology. And a man who’s half-convinced he really is Santa.
3) American Christmas essentials: Share of U.S. respondents saying the following are essential holiday traditions
4) The highest grossing Christmas movies: (Not inflation adjusted.)
5) Real vs. artificial trees: In the US, Germany and the UK.
6) Christmas music:
7) Christmas gifts:
8) Christmas, and that darn 2022 inflation:
9) More Christmas movies: Most watched.
10) Christmas movies by age:
11) Economic Development and Developers in the News #90 - Econ dev news from 108 economic development executives and organizations in 22 states and Canada.
12) Rural Towns Need To Recruit More - Rural communities must keep as many companies, residents, and students out of the transfer portal as possible.
13) Podcast Episode 77: The Work Starts at Home: Business Attraction with Lenora Fisher - Sharing her knowledge and offering practical tips for making a difference in your community.
14) 29 New Economic Development Jobs This Week - Econ dev jobs in 16 states and Mexico. From $46k - $176.
15) The 17 Things to Economic Developers Needed to Know Last Week - The stories that Dane thinks you need to see last week. December 15, 2022 edition.
Econ Dev Show Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.